Follow

Monday, February 11, 2013

Webjournal 3

I have to say that after extensive researching into the livelihoods of Israeli families, I found some intriguing information. I was unable to pull photos off of my phone showing the surrounding areas of my room and what I consider to be my home, but instead I will just describe it to you. In a typical Israeli and most Palestinian homes, families do not take in over excessive items and material objects and place them around the rooms of their household like American families do. We have things that we don't need placed all around our houses in most cases. In a typical Israeli household, there might be a few pictures or memorabilia of family members, necessities, light sources, and other useful items, but not many posters or extra fu fu stuff that brings out our personalities in each individual room. For example, in my room, I have a few target practice sheets from indoor shooting ranges because I participate in Army ROTC. This gives me that connection to what it is that I like to do. Other things hanging around my room are Indiana University items with the school logo on them. I'm sure in a similar way, Israeli and Palestinian children and families have what they connect to, just not in the numbers that we do. Family dinners are also more common than here in the United States. I can't recall the exact date of when it was that I last had dinner as a large group with my family. The cultural differences between the United States and not just us, but other countries as well, in comparison to Israel, can show why some of these differences and bits of conflict are occurring.

No comments:

Post a Comment